[meteorite-list] Is Amgala Official? / New Bulletin

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 10 16:48:58 2005

This happens all the time with meteorites that get on the market before
they come to the NomCom. It's just a fact of life. If a meteorite is
found halfway between towns, then usually the person who submits it to us
chooses. Hyphenated names are only used in special circumstances (there
will be one announced this week where pieces fell on both sides of an
international border). We give a lot of deference in choosing names to the
person or team that first classifies it as long as the name is reasonable
and appropriate.

There are thousands of synonyms for meteorite out there. Amgala will be
another. It won't be used in the scientific literature, but it will get in
all the databases.

Jeff