[meteorite-list] 'pallasite like ureilite' material

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun May 1 13:02:04 2005

Not too long ago I picked up a half kilo-ish individsual of material that
LOOKS to be the same as the Hupe's NWA 2624 - the 'pallasite like ureilite'.
the nature of this meteorite seemed pretty obvious to me - it's definatly a
ureilite and it has phenocrysts poking out of it everywhere. So there is no
misunderstanding - I'm not claiming this material IS nwa 2624 sicne I didnt
get it from the Hupes - and since I think it's obvious what the material is
I'm not going to sent it out for classifcation. this is an 'informal'
pairing.

Normally i dont cut up stones - but there is only a very small window on the
piece now - and taking a thick end cut off of it would make about as much
sense as cutting pieces of esquell into 2 inch thick slabs when you have the
capiblity to make perfectly good mm thick slices that are translucent. I
would like to open up this stone some and was curious if anyone on the list
would be interested in thin partially transparent slices containing these
phenocrysts. I'd like to get a guage for how much I can open the stone up
while finding homes for the slices so if anyone is interested please let me
know.

TIA