[meteorite-list] NPA 07-19-1929 Winona, Arizona, Meteorite Found

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 28 17:13:02 2005

Paper: The Charleroi Mail
City: Charleroi, Pennsylvania
Date: Friday, July 19, 1929
Page: 7 (of 12)

Sulphur in Meteorite
          That Fell in Arizona

     The nether regions, traditional source of "fire and brimstone," are not
along in their quota of sulphur. A meteorite, which descended from the sky
to a group of Indian ruins about five miles from Winona, Ariz., and which
was discovered by a Flagstaff filling station operator, has been found to
contain more than 6 per cent of sulphur. This has been determined after
analysis by two geologists.
     The meteorite was egg-shaped, but badly decomposed as a result of the
years that have elapsed since it fell. It was buried ten inches below the
ground. It is of the stony type, but contained small amounts of iron. The
sulphur was present in the form of iron sulphide. - Kansas City Star's
Science Service.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.