[meteorite-list] Re: [ I.M.C.A. ] FW: Lunar origin of tektites

From: Norman Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Mar 25 15:22:34 2005

List(s), Bob M., and Norbert C.

Thanks in particular, Bob, for your comments.

It's good to hear an insightful reaction to Chapman's
paper. As you might imagine, it's pretty damned
impressive to anyone lacking the very high level of
knowledge required to give it a critical evaluation.
It apparently passed peer review at the time of
publication, so beyond that, I have to wait for
someone like you to take it a step further.

Make no mistake, I am no champion of the lunar story
and have long accepted it as a neat idea on the
scrap-heap. Hence my surprise when someone I respect
raised the issue again. (And Norbert, you
misunderstood my comments. The lack of a known impact
site is not given as evidence for a lunar origin. It
only intimates that there is something that we don't
yet understand. That leaves us scratching our heads
and reviewing the whole story).

My point in raising the Chapman publication is that,
right or wrong, the lunar story was not promoted by a
lunatic fringe. Perhaps overenthusiastic, perhaps
misguided in view of modern understanding and
information, but none-the-less, serious scientists
trying to examine a hypothesis with the best tools
they could devise.

Insofar as I work with the geology of the earth daily,
and have done so hands-on for over 35 years, I am
constantly impressed with the chaos in the system.
Surely there is also great order, but a lot of
weirdities happen locally. I tend to tune out most
statements about natural systems that use the words
"always" or "never". Hence, I am also not quick to
absolutely rule out ideas.

Suppose we were extra-terrestrials visiting earth. We
have a few hundred kilos of specimens from very local
sites and another 30 or 40 meteorites derived from the
earth. Just how sweeping and conclusive should our
statements about the earth be? Could there possibly
be anything we would not yet know?

For goodness sake, consider our own planet from an
earthling's perspective! I hope no one on this list
supposes we now know all there is to know about earth.
 How many earth specimens have we studied in minute
detail? How many processes have we witnessed? How
much more have we studied in the geological record?

Do we do well to assume we have definitive answers
about all lunar questions?

Bob, I am not challenging your trajectory studies,
etc. Those are exactly the kinds of analyses needed.
This is directed more to those who assume we know all
the answers.

I keep getting the feeling that I'm coming down as a
champion for the lunar story. Not so. But I do
understand that we haven't got it all figured out, so
I'm still listening (to all who don't use "always" or
"never" toooo much----)

Regards,
Norm
http://tektitesource.com