[meteorite-list] Internet telephony: perfect for meteorite-hunting globe-trotters

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:53 2005

Hi All,

As an alternative to meteorite chat (typing), is anyone else out
there a "Skype" user? I just recently learned of the program from
Ed Majden, and it's terrific. All you need is a cheap microphone
and either your regular computer speakers or headphones and you
can talk free to anyone in the world who is on the internet (and
has loaded the Skype program). Unlike other programs like Net2Phone,
Skype is point-to-point, and so it will work through almost any
firewall:

http://www.skype.org/

Set up couldn't be easier. After I downloaded the program, it took
me all of 2 minutes to setup my username and I was good to go.
It even has a text chat mode, allowing you to type to one person
(or many people) while you're talking to another. I haven't tested
conferencing calling, but it advertises being able to conference up
to 4 people.

Anyway, it has been great fun to hear the voices of people I've never
met in person, and I thought that Mike Farmer and others who travel
extensively abroad would especially appreciate the option of being
able to voice communicate with loved ones, friends, clients, etc.
while off on an expedition. All they would need is a good internet
connection. --Rob

P.S.: For the security-conscious, Skype communications are scrambled
and secure.