[meteorite-list] finding meteorites

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 13 21:38:24 2005

James,

If you do a google search on "general information about meteorites" you will
get some good sites.

This one is very good.:
http://www.haberer-meteorite.de/english/General%20information.htm Eric
Twelker has a great page of FAQ's etc. as well.:
http://www.alaska.net/~meteor/Learn.htm

Also, David Weir's web site is often referenced on the list. It is great
for finding images of specific classes of meteorites as well as getting more
in depth information.: http://www.geocities.com/~dweir/

There are also some fabulous books available which are a must if you want to
get a good understanding of meteorites. Will recommmend some if you wish.

As for "finding" meteorites there is only one easy way. EBay. There are
also many excellent dealers with their own web pages. I will gladly
recommend some of my favourite dealers, off list, if you wish. If you are
lucky to live near some deserts in the south western United States then you
may have some luck finding your own meteorites. Probably the best way is to
find experienced hunters who would be willing to take you on some hunts.

Hope this helps,

tett
Owen Sound, Ontario