[meteorite-list] Naming planets, minor and otherwise

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 31 16:10:25 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:36:36 +0000, "tracy latimer" <daistiho_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Very few of the Polynesian gods and goddesses are suitable for naming
>planets perpetually in the Kuiper Belt deep freeze; if we were still
>looking for planets inside Mercury (Trans Vulcan) we'd be in good shape.
>The only one that really seems appropriate is Poliahu, the goddess who rules
>the snow and ice atop Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. With global warming her role
>is shrinking; maybe she's a good choice for a minor planet!

If we go with the tropical gods, I say name one after the Cook Islands god Ina. Not that it is all
that relatable to a KBO, but one named after a naked chick riding a shark would be rather cool.

http://kiaorana.com/star/legend_4.html

http://aes.iupui.edu/rwise/banknotes/cook_islands/CookIslandsP5a-20Dollars-(1987)_f.jpg