[meteorite-list] pollution

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 18 19:24:25 2005

Hi Dave and all,

I think what your concern is (tell me if I am wrong), not so much
transporting biological organisms but rather contamination of the planet
then later finding that contamination and declaring there is life there
on the red rock.

As I recall there was great concern when we were first going there about
this and the Russians and the American space programs agreed to be as
careful, sterile as we could be so if there was life on Mars, it
wouldn't be from transported microbes.

Your question is of course a very good one. Perhaps you are asking the
wrong division of Nasa. An email to the various science investigating
teams might be in order. BTW this is very on topic as it deals with a
question about life in meteorites (or planets) in which we have space
rocks that have landed.

--AL