[meteorite-list] pollution

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 18 15:43:27 2005

Hi Randy,

You said:

I am more concerned with the pollution here on earth than any highly remote
possibility of transporting something to Mars which probably would not
survive the harsh trip through space anyway.

Randy

Absolutely agree! but we must not screw up other planets as well as our own.
. but don't forget, that one Mt. St Helens-type eruption puts more crap
into the atmosphere than 50 years of manmade pollution - and nasty stuff too
- sulphur dioxide by the megatonne, CO2, rock dust and so on. Cubic
kilometers of it!

We have a responsibility to protect our own planet before we have the right
to mess with another one!
And I do not think that it is "highly remote" at all that these organisms
can survive in a Martian environment. They have certainly survived in
Martian simulations on Earth and this makes it distinctly possible they
could survive out there.

Us Earthlings must not be seen as Imperialists!!

Dave