[meteorite-list] Rocks From Space Picture of the Day - July 15, 2005

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 15 13:59:26 2005

Hi, Dirk

    After I could take my eyes off that huge chunk of iron, I saw the
buildings in the background of the photo and realized that they seem to
be keeping it outdoors, my first thought was that it should not be
exposed to the weather like that, not for the long term.
    But then, the practical me kicked in, recalling the immense
difficulties of Perry in removing one the Greenland irons to the U.S.
and its current museum home.
    Exactly what are you going to do with a 30 tonner? How do you get it
into the museum? Which floor will hold it up (if any)? Will the exhibit
end up in the basement? Probably a costly problem.
    But how about a lucite-roofed pagoda over it, to keep the rain off?
I wonder if they've coated it in any way?
    It looks pretty durable right where it is, I guess. What's another
century or so of exposure to a meteorite that size?

Sterling K. Webb