[meteorite-list] Fall Patterns (& Latest Canadian Meteorite Find)

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 15 13:47:20 2005

Each network had one recovery in about five years of operation. Is that
miserable? I don't know. We've been running four years now, with no
recoveries. Our equipment is better. Still, the problem of recovering
meteorites from meteor data is a difficult one. Even if you know with
perfect accuracy the trajectory of the meteoroid, and you have current,
accurate wind data for all altitudes, there is still an uncertainty of many
square kilometers in calculating the ground position. That is a lot of area
to cover, typically by just a few people.

Personally, I'd consider one recovery every few years in a sparsely
inhabited area pretty good.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory