[meteorite-list] New member, sort of

From: ken newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 5 18:05:31 2005

Hi Jim,
Welcome to the List. The 'meteorite' book(s) you asked about: THE DISCOVERY OF THE WINGSTARS. Vol.1 (1971) and THE DISCOVERY OF THE WINGSTARS Vol.ll, THE EVIDENCE.(1977- Colwell Press Inc - Printer)

I have Vol.ll in which Russel T. Wing states, "My two books, the first covering the wingstar discovery and the second covering the evidence and proof of that discovery, should convince the most skeptical professor."

Mr. Wing is convinced that there are many more types of 'meteorites' on earth than have been realized. The 'proof' is a series of photos with little arrows pointing to 'fusion crust' on quartz, petrified wood, dolomite, and other ordinary rocks. Unfortunately, I am not a 'professor' and I could not see any fusion crust. (None!) One caption states that an ordinary piece of light colored marble to be completely covered with crust??? Incidentally, Mr. Wing became a 'crust' expert after Nininger told his his precious quartz wingstar had no crust. Nininger suggested other experts Wing could consult. Instead, Mr. Wing became a self taught 'crust' expert by xperimentation with an acetylene flame. (Really!!!)

The book reminds me of the type of thinking behind classic 'wrong' collections such as the Diamond Meteorite Collection (http://pages.britishlibrary.net/mhy10/meteor/index.html) or Goran Lindfors Lunar and Martian 'Meteorites' (http://home.earthlink.net/~meteorwrong/Lindforswrongs.html)

I found my copy on Ebay. Hope this helps.

Best,
Ken Newton
IMCA #9632
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwnews/wingstar.html