[meteorite-list] STILL not clear - Park Forest Meteorite, Winslow St. House

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jan 29 12:38:05 2005

Hello Michael, Darren, Michael, Martin and list,

I would like to first note, that Michael Blood is correct in that Michael
Cottingham’s does not say, you are getting a piece of the Park Forest
meteorite that hit the Winslow house. Only that the siding piece is from
the Winslow House. You could be getting a piece of "normal" Park Forest, if
there is such a thing.

It is hard to argue that Park Forest is priced high. However, with Park
Forest there was just enough to fill demand. You do not see people
continually dump the meteorite, and pretty much every piece picked up
early...was instantly placed in private collections. I don't see people
listing their Park Forest pieces for Tucson money. I haven't seen much at
shows. On the other hand, we have seen some Park Forest sell in the $10
range....since most filled this spot in their collections. I don't think
any of this was fresh Park Forest. But if you bargain shop and hold out, you
can find a deal.

Park Forest will always be special because of the humanistic story behind
the fall. And while a Park Forest specimen, is a Park Forest specimen, I
think anyone would admit that we strangely prefer a meteorite to hit things.
  The Park Forest that hit the fire hydrant with yellow paint on the side,
Garza piece's and others such as the Winslow St. or even the curb smasher to
some degree, will command a little more interest. The curb smasher, I
wouldn't normally note as well as I do, but much of the meteorite pieces,
such as my complete slice, has yellow paint on the side, and it is known to
have been picked up right away. I think most people appreciate history
behind pieces and it is understandable a premium is paid.

Looking forward to Tucson,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com