[meteorite-list] Magnetic meteorites

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 19 19:15:37 2005

Steve, you're fine. Generally with meteorites the more strongly magnetic
the specimen the more iron metal. There are some many uses of the word
magnetic in exactly the way you use it, in the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites
that it sounds like you might be able to give Bob Evans some help on the
concept. Saludos, Doug
PS I have a meteorite that is a magnet. It's easy to make them from most
magnetic metals like your new meteorite. Just store it with a strong magnet
attached for a while and even just "filing" it can make a magnetic iron a
permanent magnet right away. It'll be weaker thanthe original magnet, though.
Mu Toluca got so magnetic it sticks to the refrigerator door. I was thinking
sending a certain person one of these as a peace offering:) Other magnetic
metals in the same sense as iron, are, nickel, cobalt and gadolinium...the
actual term is ferromagnetic. Chromium and Maganese are actually
antiferromagnetic.

When someone says "magnetic" they are referring to any kind of magnetic
property at all, not just the ability to sustain magnetic poles like a permanent
magnet. The correct word to describe that is that the material is
magnetized. Magnetized means it has the properties of a permanent magnet/ Magnetic
means whatever the users wants remotely related to magnets, the metals they
attract, of the fields they produce, etc. etc. Hope this clears it up until the
next round...
Congrats on the new acquisition!
Saludos, Doug

En un mensaje con fecha 01/19/2005 5:49:27 PM Mexico Standard Time,
bobe5531_at_comcast.net escribe:
With all due respect Steve................

You claimed that your new meteorite is very magnetic.
That's about as annoying as the oriented - orientated debate.
>From what I understand " Magnetic " means having the properties of a magnet.
Does your new meteorite attract Iron like a magnet?
Probably not !!
I see this used all of the time, so, am I missing something ?
Is there some meteorite out there that I've never heard of that can attract
Iron magnetically?

Thanks
Bob Evans