[meteorite-list] NPA 04-14-1875 Homestead Meteorite Article

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 19 15:32:36 2005

Paper: The Daily Independent
City: Helena, Montana
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 1875
Page: 1

     ON the night of 12th of February last a meteor fell near Davenport,
Iowa, that weighed seven pounds and six ounces. It was of a blackish cast,
was very hard, and a considerable per centage of it is iron. It was seen to
fall by some young people while returning from a spelling school, who
represent that in its passage through the air it resembled a ball of red-hot
iron. It struck on a body of ice, rebounded some thirty-feet, and then it
spluttered in the snow until it finally cooled off.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.