[meteorite-list] Comet Machholz (C/2004 Q2)

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 7 21:48:21 2005

Hi Bernd and List,

I echo Bernd's sentiments.

>it's an easy target through 10x50 binoculars and breathtaking through
>an 8-inch scope.

Both the pleiades and the comet easily fit in the field
of view of my 7x50 binocs and 5 degree field of my finder. You
are right. In my 10 inch reflector, it is breathtaking.
It has been amazing to track it's movement over the past several weeks.

Here is a NASA java applet which simulates the orbit of Machholz (C/2004
Q2)...
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/db_shm?sstr=2004+Q2&group=all

... which list member and JPL software engineer Ron Baalke had a hand in
creating.

Oh, almost forgot - "Meteorite."

-Walter