[meteorite-list] Fwd: Las Vegas fireball sighting - 2005Jan04

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 7 21:36:04 2005

------------ Forward Message ------------
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:27:10 -0800
From: skywise <skywise_at_dslextreme.com>
To: Global Meteor Observing Forum
<meteorobs_at_meteorobs.org>

Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Las Vegas fireball sighting

I too am new to the group, having been advised of it
after seeing a fireball on the 4th of Jan as well,
from LA.
So apologies if I'm not following proper form.

Here's a copy of my post to a satellite observing
group:

    Time: 17:43 Jan 4, 2005 (0143 UTC Jan 5)

    Location: LA Area, Stanton CA
    -118.00 33.80

    Travelling due east from zenith. Was seen out a
window so only saw ending. I saw only bright white,
but mother, who called my attention to it, saw green
as well. Terminated about 30 degrees altitude.

    It appeared as bright as airplane landing lights
seen head on from about 10 miles away. (I have seen
planes turning to land at John Wayne airport from
about that distance)

   This was not man made, was travelling way too fast.

Comparing the description to what Jennifer just
described, I think we saw the same event.

I had also heard there was meteorite fall in
Wisconsin, but I doubt this was the same event. The
great circle route to Wisconsin from my location is
about 45 azimuth whereas my sighting was at
90 degrees and headed the same.

Brian
--
http://www.skywise711.com - Lasers, Seismology,