[meteorite-list] NWA 1933 - Best chondules I have ever seen

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 4 13:03:52 2005

Zelimir wrote:

> Both are indeed so stunning and I have never seen such a beautiful
> chondrule pattern (perhaps comparable to Sahara 98175 (LL3.5, S4,
> W1) while perhaps only Ragland or (especially) Krymka may present
> a more stunning pattern).

I fully agree. There are 6 slices in my collection (all of them from Mike Farmer).
You find a whole lot of unique features in them including slightly oval, small- to
medium-sized, tightly packed chondrules and some brilliant white chondrules. There
are amorphous clasts (either carbonaceous or shock-darkened - not sure here [yet]),
large elongated clasts, large elongated lath-like inclusions, and the cream of the
crop is a 5.14-gram specimen with two totally different lithologies (one light-colored,
the other the usual dark matrix). Mike wrote about this one: "one note on that 1933
piece, it was only one stone that had the clast like that, all the other pieces did
not show that."

> By the way, is NWA 1933 an LL3.0 or is the second digit so far unknown
> (undetermined) ?

Heaven knows why it hasn't been fully classified. Jeff Kuyken who is also an ardent
NWA 1933 fan, has often asked this question before. This meteorite is so exceptional
that it would really deserve a two-digit classification.

Best regards,

Bernd