[meteorite-list] Meteorites, Diamonds and Minerals

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 24 12:59:12 2005

Howdy

   Diamonds don't melt like many other materials do. If you get them hot
enough in the presence of atmospheric gases (O2, N2 etc), they will
break down into carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and cyanide depending
on temperature, gas concentration, etc. The diamonds in ureilites and
other diamond-bearing meteorites will combust and reduce to gases in
the fusion crust. The interiors of meteorites do not get hot enough to
generate this reaction during atmospheric entry.

Cheers,
MDF

--
Marc Fries