[meteorite-list] Meteorites, Diamonds and Minerals

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 24 11:19:52 2005

Hi Dirk and All,

Thanks for the diamond info. However I was unable to find the answer to
a question I have been wondering about for a while. Do the diamonds in
ureilites melt as the meteorite passes through the earth's atmosphere?

I have read that the melting point of diamond at 1 atmosphere is about
4000 degrees K. Does atmospheric melting on the meteorite's surface
ever come close to that? What is the vaporization temperature of
olivine? Might that yield a clue?

Cheers,

Martin H