[meteorite-list] Ad - Please Ignore!!!! Way off topic!!!! Statingthe OBVIOUS!??

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 19 09:03:34 2005

Yep, but Dirk,

the use of the letters is not so important, if da cube is used only for size
comparig purpose,
as the directions in the strewnfield at home are of minor importance.
It might be a nice exercise for a geometrician, given the proper orientation
of the cube and the season, to estimate from the length of the shadows, at
which hour of the day the picture was made, but I confess, that whenever I
put my specimens onto the sill to take pictures, I never used a compass.
Let's check my actual auctions...well, at the Sao Juliao the S points not to
South, it's more SSE. Kunya-Urgench: W must be turned clockwise for about
60?. Moon - wow, seems to be quite correct +/- 10?.

> Therefore by stating the dimensions in the text would

Everybody is giving the information of the specimen's dimensions
additionally in the text.
(and some allude the cube being 1cm x 1cm x 1cm).

> "uneducated" ebay buyer the cube has no meaning.

One never should underestimate peoples intellectual skills....

>lens cap, pen, pocket knife,

objects, which strongly vary in size. (My tomcat was twice as large as my
cat).

Note another point: All this cubes with letters were made by Scherff, hence
cognizable and standardized. Imagine, Mr.Buckleboo with his devilish mind,
would craft a cube with a length of the edges of only 7mm, to gave a wrong
impression of the true size of the meteorite...

"planetary" - words have meanings, sometimes the meaning is shortened or
transformed by the use of that word.
That's the reason, why we often have to laugh so much, if we hear a
politician, a manager or a lawyer speakin' or if we're reading a computer
manual or a writ from the authorities.
"planetary" is a sloppy word for stony meteorites from differentiated (thus
probably larger mother (?) bodies). Of course it's not concise, as f.e. all
the irons are also a product of differentiaton and we don't have to start
the somewhat academic discussion from when on a celestial body which
revolves around the sun should be called a planet, planetoid, asteroid,
kuiperbeltobject ect.
And of course you could take your stand, that "Nonplanetary hits planetary"
correctly describes the fall of the Park Forest Curb Smasher, as Park Forest
is an ordinary chondrite, thus not planetary, but the curb is made from
terrestial rock and our Earth is a planet.
Da point is: It's important, that most people do understand, what
"planetary" if attributed to a meteorite means.

My 2 buckleboos.
Martin