[meteorite-list] Ad - Please Ignore!!!! Way off topic!!!! Statingthe OBVIOUS!??

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Feb 18 22:49:59 2005

Dear Alexander, Martin, and List,
  I think that the cubes are wonderful IF they are
properly used; but I see many photos with the user not
understanding the orientation for the cube. And for
many viewers outside of the US it is understood that
the dimension is 1cmX1cmX1cm; but for the common
"uneducated" ebay buyer the cube has no meaning.
Therefore by stating the dimensions in the text would
provide more clear information for most viewers.
  As for field geology, the cubes would be useful;
but commonly the field geologist is left with using a
coin, lens cap, pen, pocket knife, rock hammer, or
something else that he/she happens to have available.
  Now about Planetary material. Science is a dynamic
and hopefully progressive method to explain what is
being studied. Science cannot say with 100% certainty
that this or that meteorite came from this or that
planetary body. We can state the evidence we have
that indicates, with some degree of certainty, that
this or that rock came from where....sometimes. The
types of rocks and environments on most planetary
bodies should be highly variable....look at the
variety of rocks and minerals on the Earth for
example.
Planetary bodies are dynamic, and atmospheric gas and
rock formation processes are variable throughout the
formation and life of the planetary bodies. Impacting
meteorites from another source can "contaminate" the
surface samples that are/have been collected.
  Thank you both and list members for this debate.
Sincerely, Dirk Ross...Tokyo