[meteorite-list] New Arizona Meteorite!

From: Gerald Flaherty <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 13 18:53:38 2005

ON THE ORIGIN OF CHONDRULES
Norm and List,
Please excuse my ignorance for putting forth this question but as a relative
"newbe" to meteorite collecting, I hope you will entitle me to this query.
I came across the term "accretionary lapilli" also called "volcanic
pisolites" in Dorothy Ferris Lapidus 1987 edition of "The Facts on File
Dictionary of Geology and Geophysics.
If you bear with me I'll quote " these are shperoidal concentrically layered
pellets composed mainly of vitric dust and ash, usually between 2 and 10 mm
in diameter. They are formed primarily through the accretion of ash and dust
by condensed moisture in eruption clouds. Formless nuclei of coarse
particles fall through the fine debris and acquire shells of progressively
finer ash. These concentric shells indicate the increasiing temperature and
decreasing humidity of the cloud at lower levels.
My question is, does the process described above provide any
anology("something similar but different") to the origin of chondrules.
A solar nebula is obviously different than a volcano but is there any
analagous sympatico to the spheroidal shape?
I've seen neither a macro nor micro view of a cross-section of a chondrule
so I can't speak to the issue of concentric layering.
Please excuse this question if it either "offers a keen grasp of the
obvious" or is so "out of the ballpark", "continent", "planet", "sun (star)
system", "gallaxy" (that's as limiting as my current unaided memory allows
my imagination to propel itself).
Thank you for your indulgence.
Jerry Flaherty