[meteorite-list] Bake Sale Juanchengs AD

From: martinh_at_isu.edu <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 10 09:56:28 2005

Bake sale Juanchengs

Howdy folks,

This is an offer for you to get some wonderful small Juancheng individuals with a story.

While at the Tucson show, I stumbled upon a Chinese mineral dealer who happened to have a few small Juancheng individuals. Turns out they were given to him by a school teacher in China who had his students search the strewnfield essentially as a fund-raising project for their classroom, similar to a bake sale or car wash.

The mineral dealer had one little individual sitting on a shelf. I happened to notice it and inquire if there were more pieces. The dealer, a very nice professional-looking man with weak English skills said he had a few more?but where. He searched his room finally locating the Juanchengs in small Ziploc bag buried in one of many boxes stuffed under a table.

The mineral dealer said that a friend of his who was a teacher thought of the fund-raising meteorite search. In the end, after many hours of searching, the students only found a
 few hundred grams, most broken pieces and incomplete individuals. Anyway, I wanted to support the students? efforts since I was once a classroom science teacher myself, and fund-raising is both important and tedious.

So I picked through the stones and bought a few grams of wonderful tiny complete individuals. But then the dealer had no scale with which to weigh them. He looked at me sheepishly and shrugged his shoulders somewhat unsure what to do. I finally took the set of stones to Blaine Reed?s room for weighing.

So in a nutshell, I bought the stones to help out the students in China. But I would now like to pass on some of the stones and the story to interested collectors and teachers. I will be keeping a few stones for my own teaching needs, but I have assembled five sets of three complete individuals each. The combined weight for each set of three individuals averages 5.5 grams total. Each set of three stones is in a 2x2 inch box with a short version of the story prin
ted on the back and a copy of story like it appears in this email.

The price: only $35 per set, shipping included (which is well within the normal retail of small individuals of Juancheng!) And these are all 99-100 percent crusted individuals with wonderful form.

Think of it. Everyone has Juancheng, but few have a story. For me, what makes collecting fun are the stories, whether those of science, the hunt, or human interest.

So if you are interested, please email me for availability. Remember, there are only 5 sets so time is of the essence if you want to add Bake Sale Juanchengs to your collection.

Cheers,

Martin H