[meteorite-list] Mysterious Flash, Rumbling in Australia

From: Geoff Taurins <geoffreyt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 3 03:29:07 2005

G'day Jeff and List

Well being out working at 03:00 it was cloudy+++ and lots of
thunder / lightning I find it hard to believe it was just a lightning
strike.
Being a witness to the noise, it started north of where I was, at
Sydenham N/W of Melbourne travelled overhead and finnished
as a loud bang roughly south of me. The event lasted 5 - 6 seconds
from start to end and sounded like a jet flying very close but way
faster. I was located over 50km from where the power pole was
destroyed. My wife witnessed the same thing from home including
a large bang / explosion that rattled the front windows of the house.
She was located over 60km away from the power pole as well.
It could have been lightning but my first impression was a meteorite
and was amazed that nothing appeared on this list. Just my reporting
of my observations which you can make of what you wish.

Cheers Geoff