[meteorite-list] Exogenic Fulgurites

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 30 22:02:54 2005

Hello Norm,

I have some of this material. It is was't especially cheap but not
unaffordable. I came upon it 5 years ago from the
finder/co-colector(?). It is a beautiful curiosity but I was given a
different origin story.

According to the finder, this came from totally encased voids in
Pliocene ( or later) lava flows where a low-viscosity, fast-flowing
lava encased standing timber. While most all trace of the timber was
burned away, there were minor amounts of charcoal recovered.

 The "drippings" are a higher quality glass that show flow. Owing to
their long fragile lengths and pristine surfaces, they had to drip
slowly and intermittenly into a sheltered void to avoid weathering. I
presume these flows dribbled into the chamber over some time period as
some stalactite-stalagmite like forms were observed in some of the
samples. As I recall there were some branch like cavities uncovered.
Each had these glass gardens. In fact they looked a lot like classic
cave formations but o evaporation was involved in their growth.

They are attractive in any event but, too many differences from
fulgurites. The forms are too smooth, too perfect a surface for a quick
lightening flash heating. These were hot for a longer time. Some were
green to yellow and remind me of Hawaiian lava tube formations ,
iridescent in some etc.

Given the cavity shapes, charcoal fragments and long fragile Pele
tear-type shapes I favor the lava flow theory of origin.

Regards,
Elton