[meteorite-list] Moldavites on eBay

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 12 02:28:54 2005

After hearing about fake moldavites coming out of China, I nosed around eBay
for a bit, and boy! I have never seen so many misnamed, misrepresented, and
just plain wrong pieces of glass and rock called moldavite. I bought a lump
of raw moldavite and a couple of faceted ones 4 or 5 years ago when I first
started collecting meteorites, and I am glad I did, because I'd estimate at
least 80% of what is out there right now is NOT moldavite (tsavorite, green
quartz, or just tumbled chunks of beer bottles). Since when is moldavite
glow-in-the-dark green?? I am horrified. The few that look like real
moldavite are either overpriced, or the sellers have terms that frighten me
as a buyer (pay exclusively with Western Union transfer to unknowns in
eastern Europe, a notorious way to kiss your money goodby).

I know some of the danger signs, but I feel sorry for people who buy one of
these mystery rocks and get burned.

Tracy Latimer