[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorite Fall in Zimbabwe?

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 30 13:18:00 2005

Frederic posted:

> So this article describes the phenomenon in a way that can be
> understood by readers, even those who do not know what a meteorite is,
> and once again I do not see any wrong word nor definition.

Dear Frederic, Doug and Listees:

Doug, the writer's final comment was more on the metaphysical side than
I was prepared for, but then you seem like a metaphysical kind of guy
(that intended as a compliment). So, thanks for explaining his pretty
abstract concept there in small, bite-sized words that I can understand
on a hot Tuesday morning. It is Tuesday today, right? : ) Thanks
also for the "Python" snippet -- one of my favorites.

Fredric, very well put, and agreed that the content of the article is
more accurate than what we've come to expect from journalists writing
meteorite stories. However, as a writer I found the style and syntax to
be amateurish and a little silly, and had the urge to share my
amusement with the List.

I could point out that the author's comment "a meteorite on a celestial
body is a SMALL object" is inaccurate when contemplating the mighty
Hoba, Bacubirito, and Cape York irons, but that would be really
nitpicky wouldn't it? Yeah, I thought so.

Okay, just having a little fun: "A stone is not a stone, when it's
ajar," or something like that.

Now, back to business . . . how 'bout a half-price, three-for-one
Campos Sales sale with free shipping to an asteroid of your choice?

Regards to all,

Geoff N.