[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorite Fall in Zimbabwe?

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 30 01:38:40 2005

Geoff N. wrote:
>But seriously, what does this final sentence mean?

>>However, a meteorite on a celestial body is a small object that
>>has come from elsewhere in space.

>I read it over and over, and it made my head go all funny. You
>should try it : )

>Geoff N.
>Smirking in Tucson

Hola Geoff, Seriously, you say, juxtaposed with Monty Python...hmm...ok, but
first a little Monty Python humour for your hurting brain...

All: Let's operate.
(They begin to use woodworking implements on T. F. Gumby, a.k.a. GN.)
T. F. Gumby: Hello!
Surgeon Gumby: Ooh! We forgot the anaesthetic!
Operating Gumbys: The anaesthetic! The anaesthetic!
(At that moment a Gumby anaesthetist comes crashing
through the wall with two gas cylinders.)
Gumby Anaesthetist: I've come to anaesthetize you!!
(He raises a gas cylinder and strikes Gumby hard over the head mith it.
Bong. Blackness.)

And in seriousness:
Clearly, the author of the article is reefering to what a meteorite is. A
meteorite is obviously an object on a celestial body that comes from somewhere
else in space, just like he says. Nice concise definition! I hope your
head feels better now!

Meteoroids (referenced earlier in the article) which actually survive
passage to arrive on the surface of another celestial body leave meteorites. Thus
the definition is not limited to meteorites on Earth, but covers those
falling on the Moon, Mars, etc., which have also been seen or collected lately.
The reporter had it a little out of order, but I'd say he was well on the right
track when he recognized that Earth is not the only celestially body that
meteorites appear upon.

There!!

Saludos, Doug