[meteorite-list] RE: RC's age of the universe???

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 17 09:39:44 2005

Objection, Euer Ehren!

Bishop Ussher, who calculated the day of the creation was an anglican
protestant from Ireland.
And if I remember right, in Spencer Tracy's The trial of the Hulk, the
opponent was a protestant zealot.
I for my part never met a catholic priest with had doubts on the age of the
universe, nor was I taught in the religious education at school 20+ years
ago, that evolution and the age of the world is rubbish. (In fact they
taught the construct of Teilhard, creation in evolution).
Btw. the main agitation against the heliocentric system in 16th century was
done by lutheran church.
The catholic scholars didn't use Copernicus' system for the only reason,
that it gave worse accurate positions of the planets than the geocentric
(Copernicus used concentric orbits and was always fighting with additional
auxiliary circles to get that thing in accordance with the real positions,
which were worse than those calculated by the model with epicycles).
Later when Kepler had published his laws, the Catholics were using them,
despite Galileo was damned :-)
I would locate that Ussherism today more in the American
fundamentalistic-potestant branches than in the RC.

Amen
Martin

PS: Ussher's first day of creation was 20th October 4004 B.C.
PSS: Norbert, ich brauch die Liste!