[meteorite-list] The Scorpion and the Turtle wasList policies and ad posts thoughts

From: E. L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Aug 4 14:33:44 2005

AL Mitterling wrote:
Hi Robert, Jerry and list,

>Might I suggest?? dividing the list into areas of interests. We could
have topics like: Meteorite Information, Meteorite >Questions, Meteorite
discussion, Meteorite AD's, New Members Area, etc. and so forth. (other
ideas would be up to list >members)

 This can be the Meteorite Fables, complete with morals and talking animals

Or how about we just shun the aberrant personality until he leaves for
good? Boycott buying and selling to him and he might find another
community to self destruct in. I still remember the wenching Joel
Warren brought to this group. this Sscorpion is more damaging.

It isn't "ads" per se, it is that the integrity of the community is
breeched by a personality that holds himself as an honest, uprigh,
leading member of the community and to my knowledge has NEVER kept his
word on anything EVER posted to the list-and 90% of what goes on off the
list. That is am impressive track record for someone who has over 800
posts to the list. The list isn't any different from real life--The
members desire to associate only with persons of integrity and who they
feel safe with and who isn't taking advantage of their hospitality.
Some of those members are beginning to vote with their feet. I may soon
join them. I happen to believe that you don't drop your guard around
philosophical scorpions you'll be prey of you'll spend most of you
energy defending friends from being preyed upon

My objections are the repeated pattern of unethical behavior , mind game
manipulation, and the theft of enjoyment he brings to the community
using WWF Smackdown Tactics of playing everyone off against another.
Some people aren't happy unless they can influence the way of things and
this particular individual choses to do so by destroying and
disrupting-- He is a scorpion it is just his nature. It always has been
and always will be--it is just his nature--it- is -j u s t-- h i s --n a
t u r e.. It isn't going to change. This Sscorpion doesn't act with
malice, it is just his way, it is the standard he lives by and It is
nothing personal-- it is just who and what he is.

Sstamp out Sscorpions!

Elton

For those unfamiliar with the fable...
The Sscorpion and the Turtle...(adaptation by EJ)

In rising tide waters a turtle was preparing to raft the whole community
of creatures on MetList-island to another shore when the group was
approached by a scorpion for a ride too. The turtle is taken back for
he knows of the deadly insidious ven-AD-om of the arachnid-- he has seen
the scorpion often inject others with his ven-AD-om All his life he was
taught to avoid the beast and his kind for their treachery was well known.

"Ahem.... Dear Turtle! ole buddy! ole pal...how about a piggy-back ride
to dry land lest I drown? I am a lowly innocent loving caring, team
player amongst the creatures here on MetList-Island ! I am generous
beyond imagination, and in spite of my appearances I assure you I am
harmless...A true leader amongst purveyors of phony er precious pieces
of plasmasphere particles ...Why.. you hear from me daily so you
shouldn't have any worrys about me and my reputation--Surely You don't
pay attention to the things you've read about my private behaviors " as
he preened his pinchers and thought to himself.." How can anyone resist
my Cc-charm? I am sooo coooool and these are chumps for the picking if
you suck up to them"

Shaking his head no, Turtle speaks up..."Oh No! Sscorpion. If I gave
you a ride and you stung me in the river we'd all die. And you are
certainly preceded by your reputation over and over again. The older
turtles who started this island have often spoken of the risk and urged
me to never associate with Sscorpions."

"Ah my Dear Turtle, ole buddy, dearest friend..I can see I can't fool
you...Yes I was once a piggish brute but I promise I'll never be that
way again-- cross my heart and hope to die..Why if I am not who I say I
am...I banish myself from this community! But you wouldn't want me to
be left here alone and without friends. Why even if I have been a
piggish cad , a egotistical heel, a sycophant lier AND have broken
every deal I have ever uttered and have never done pentance...I promise
I'd never ever harm you...I am changed-- You are one of my Sspecial
friends. You CAN tust me THIS time. I'll trade ya this lovely morsel of
starrock...if you'll like me and give me a free lunch er free ride to
dryer ground" he seductively whispered. "Frankly, I am totally
misunderstood and am persecuted without reason." Sscorpion confided to
all that wouls listen. "I really need your sympathy and
understanding." "How about a ride? ", he presses. " My Ven-AD-om is
harmless and it really isn't my choice it is just what I am... you
don't have to take it if you choose not to-- just walk around it and
stay clear of my sPAMtinger when you see it swinging. It isn't my
responsibility to control its gyrations-- afterall this is a free
country, well at least I am not paying for it.. tee.hee hee and I can
let it swing where it wishes Nana naa naaaa naaaa--it is just who I am
("delete it if you are not interested" echos off a nearby clift). The
sPAMinger is simply an annoyance, it is how I eak a living, it is
harmless-- in and of itself but I need to ego feed daily --it is just
who I am."

"No can do! If you were broke your word, I risk death to me and to all
my friends" your ven-AD-om numbs the brain and sucks the joy from me
and the stupor it brings would cause me to lose my strength and desire
to carry on -- in water that is an assured death! Being around your
fumes is harmful to me. I have to stay in my shell most of the time to
avoid your sPAMtinger."

With eyebrow raised, smirking mandable to mandable, Sscoripon looks his
mark straight in the eye and says.." Yes but I give away star rocks!
You love star rocks don't you?" Please give me a ride, Special
Friend?" I promise I'll behave like the rest of the friendly turtles,
you won't even know I am around."

The other members on the ride were divided. Many who had been savaged
by the Sscorpion's past treachery were firm in the danger to them all if
the Sscorpion was allowed along.--expressing that if Sscorpion staid
they would have to go elsewheres. But a few more scoffed.."Ahh what
harm could he really do? Turtles' have a hard shell anyway... Aww come
on give him a ride". The words were confusing to Turtle...but in the end
the vocal minority won out and convinced Turtle to take Sscorpion
along. Against his better judgment ,Turtle was persuaded to ferry the
parasitic Sscorpion to another shore. Thirty minutes later in
midwater, Turtle starts believeing Sscorpion-- lulled by Sscorpion's
"passion", "enthusiasm", and child-like demeanor. " Awwww someone this
sweet can't really be harmful. I'll trust him this once and give the
fella a hitch" thinks , Turtle.

Midway across , Turtel feels the thrashing of of the
stinger...wham..wham wham. Horrified betrayed and bewildered the turtle
eyes the Sscorpion and asked.."Why did you do that? You promised you
wouldn't sting me...now we are all going to die".

"I know" said Sscorpion without concern , remorse, or awareness of
danger to the whole community he hath wrought " I know..." ..then
another attack Wham- wham- wham... he stings again... Beyond belief,
Turtle again asked "Why did you break your promise? You knew if you
stung me we all would die, You've destroyed us all....Why....?"

Sscorpion only shrugs his sshoulders and without remorse or emotion
says.." I couldn't help myself, nothing personal...it is just my nature
, it is who I am"

When you assocate with Sscorpions-- knowing their behavior never
changes it is not IF but WHEN you'll fall prey even if it takes you
both down.