[meteorite-list] List policies and ad posts thoughts

From: Michael Farmer <meteoritehunter_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 3 13:57:06 2005

I have discussed this issue with many people in private at the Tucson show,
and came to one conclusion. The vast majority of people on this list prefer
the meteorite ads, including eBay ads. Most people, like myself included
have little time to search through thousands of daily eBay auctions, so we
all like to be reminded when people have large lots or special items are
ending.

I think that my sales like the one ending tonight are unique opportunities
for collectors to acquire large and rare and valuable specimens for low
prices. Where else can you find a 7.5 kilo witnessed fall individual started
at one cent?

I do agree that posts should be for large sales, or unique items. We would
quickly be overwhelmed if people started posting every Gao or Canyon Diablo
they had up for sale.

This is a meteorite list, and it encompasses all parts of meteoritical
studies and collecting, including the commercial end of it, for without
people like me going all over the world getting these meteorites, there
would be precious few to go around. And for me to pay for all those hunting
trips (many of which are unsuccessful) I have to sell a large amount
meteorites.

Now if you are a member of several of the Yahoo meteorite sales lists, and
this list, then often you will get several copies of the same sale. You need
to remember that you signed up to those lists, and that many people are not
all on one list, so I like most, send to each list.

Michael Farmer