[meteorite-list] To be or not to be.....Taza!

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 3 09:26:31 2005

Taza is certainly a proper name, linguistically, but not an officially
recognized one.
It refers to a geographical place (no matter, whether it was found there or
not) following or imitating the usage to name meteorites after a
geographical name of a place of a find,
thus certainly different, then "Diderot", "Curie", "Rintintin", which refer
to famous personalities, chosen as working names by persons, who were
perhaps involved in the discovery.

As Taza was a larger find and there are only a few desert irons and cause
the pattern of this plessitic iron are so charcteristic, that even the try
of a layman to tell it apart from other desert irons will be successfull
with a high probability,
this name will be in use for the next 30 years, independently from what the
MetSoc-pros will decide,
who btw should - to adhere consequently to their priciples - then feel the
urgent need to exchange the name "Zagora" with an NWA number,
as there the find circumstances are similar mere as with Taza and that it
was found before the NWA-era, can't be a reason to carry on with that name.

Cheers!
Martin