[meteorite-list] To be or not to be.....Taza!

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 3 08:33:41 2005

The reason NASA ADS doesn't turn up anything is because this is a virtually
unstudied meteorite, so there is no scientific literature on it. In fact,
ADS gives one hit on the proper name, "Northwest Africa 859", and three
hits on "Taza"; all of these hits are to popular literature. If and when
this meteorite appears in an abstract or peer-reviewed journal, you will
find it only listed under the name Northwest Africa (NWA) 859.

"Taza" is not the "proper name" as Martin called it. It is more of a
nickname given by dealers before the meteorite was characterized. A
similar case is the martian meteorite which some dealers dubbed "Diderot",
but which is really named NWA 2737. I might add that we don't know if this
iron even came from Taza, Morocco, because the place of find was never
reported.

So call it whatever you like, but it would be a good idea if a label
included the formal name, NWA 859.

jeff