[meteorite-list] What great hobby!! + microwaves to detect meteorites?

From: Maria Haas <dragonsoup_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Apr 11 08:33:12 2005

Dear Graham,

Unfortunately, I am unable to swing a detector right now and haven't been
able to for some time. All of my hunting is done by sight and I do have a
telescoping magnet on a stick (thanks to Mark Bostick) and hard drive
magnets on a string that I drag behind me as I walk.

I think I'd be pretty frustrated if I dug for five minutes to reach a piece
of scrap metal but I sure can't wait for the chance!

About a month ago while I was out hunting I came across this curious little
63 gram stone slightly sticking out of the ground. When I got my trusty
magnet near it it went "click" and my heart jumped. I had been taking
artifact pictures and GPS coordinates all day so as luck would have it, I
now only had two good batteries with me. I had to abandon an "in situ"
picture but was able to get GPS coordinates before that died as well. I was
at the backside of 500 acres so I stuck it in my pocket and pointed myself
home. I must have taken 20 pictures of it on and off the scale before I
headed twards the saw to window it. I pulled it back from the blade and had
to remind myself about someday. Someday it'll be real and I'll be doing the
chicken dance all over my basement.

I have lightly discussed with another listmember about using GPR (Ground
Penetrating Radar). Perhaps someone could offer some info on how beneficial
that is in the field.

Kind Regards,
Maria