[meteorite-list] General Meteorite Interest Has Increased 100% InLast Year

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 30 12:13:16 2004

Servus Mark,

50% more collectors, 50% more sales, but 90% lower prices - that's what we
find in Pandora's box.
I would guess that meanwhile the greater part of meteorite friends came over
ebay and internet to collecting within in the last 3 years.
They just aren't aware, that they hit the culmination of the desert rush, a
singular, extraordinnary event (as long as the antarctics will not released)
in history of meteorites, which is without example since the beginnings of
meteoritics and which wont repeat in future (so that once we will tell our
grandsuns and -daughters from the prices of today and we will bite off the
parts where we we are sitting on, that we didn't load our cellars and
garages full of the extraterrestial stuff).

Those collectors just don't know, that even 5 years ago it was not possible
to buy a howardite for 10$/gm or a Moon at 300$/gm and that not long ago
there were perhaps only 200 or 300 different meteorites available and not
more.

That's, I think, what Captain Blood an we other veterans mean, when we
snivel about the "Crash".

Lalala
Martin