[meteorite-list] Calculating a meteorite orbit

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 24 13:59:38 2004

Hi Dieter,

I resisted replying to Pierre-Marie's question for the very reason that
there is no "turn-key" solution to determination of the pre-Earth-encounter
orbit based on visual observations, video, photographs, and/or recovered
meteorite coordinates. Every case is unique since the type and quality
of data vary in every fall.

You were extraordinarily fortunate with Neuschwanstein because the quality
and quantity of your camera data were excellent. (I wish we had such a
network in the U.S. -- there are a few scattered all-sky cameras in
northern California, but nothing yet in southern California or Nevada
where the chances are better for meteorite recovery.) But even with
good camera records, I know how much work it was for you to reconstruct
the 3-D trajectory and compute an impact corridor. You need an atmospheric
model, an ablation model, and code for "flying" the meteoroid down to
the ground -- compensating for upper atmospheric winds as necessary.
Few people appreciate the complexity of the problem until they actually
try to do it. I spent hundreds of hours doing it for the June 3rd
Washington State bolide [paper pending].

The reverse problem of flying the atmospheric trajectory backwards in
order to compute the solar orbit is almost as difficult. However, it
can be a valuable clue if you haven't found any meteorites yet, since
the orbit (primarily the semi-major axis and eccentricity) may tell you
the probable composition of the meteoroid. (This turned out to be
especially true in the case of the June 3rd bolide!)

Best wishes,
Rob