[meteorite-list] Tanezrouft 062 and lack of NWA coordinates

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 24 13:18:24 2004

Hello All,

When I saw Frederic's and Christophe's TAN 062 pics (beautiful pics,
by the way), I was instantly reminded of a gorgeous 8.79 gr Tanezrouft
slice I purchased in Ensisheim from Jean-Luc Parodi. It does look very
much like TAN 062 but will be classified as an LL5, S2, W2 in Met.Bull.
#89, 2005.

What makes it look so gorgeous is a large 10mm FeNi-troilite inclusion
that looks a little bit like Lake Constance (Southern Germany) with a 4
millimeter chondrule sitting right beneath.

But the point I was trying to make is this:

Total known weight, coordinates and other pertinent details for TAN 062
have been published in Met.Bull. #88 and will be published for my 8.79 gr
slice in Met.Bull. #89 - I already have the coordinates from J-L. Parodi so
I was able to check, compare and conclude that they are different meteorites,
not paired, not possibly paired, and the like ... no ambiguities here!

But, like many others, I will continue buying NWA's without proper or sufficient
documentation because it is the *meteorite* that is at the center of my interest
and not possible or potential pairings. If I was a professional scientist, things
would be different - as a hobby meteorite collector, it is a nuisance which does
not bother me too much.

Apart from the hassle and uproar over the "Howardite Blow Out Sale",
I agree with Matt Morgan's and Adam's comments:

"Its up to you. Point is, ENJOY this HOBBY folks!!!"

"all meteorites are cool."

Fall and find data is important but a eucrite or a howardite or any other
meteorite is what it is for collectors: something to enjoy, something to
marvel at, something to enrich our lives because "you only live life once
so there is no time for a rehearsal, do the best you can now."

Best,

Bernd