[meteorite-list] metal detectors

From: JKG <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 23 11:27:24 2004

Several List members use White's Goldmaster series detectors with great
success. The current model is the GMT with is very similar to the previous
model, the Goldmaster 4. Previous models were the Goldmaster 2, Goldmaster
3 and the Goldmaster VSAT. All are good units to hunt for all types of
meteorites. The Goldmaster 3 has some features that have made it a very
popular detector with meteorites hunters.

Other meteorite hunters I know use the Fisher detectors - the Gold Bug and
Gold Bug II. One List member from up in Mohave County has used a Gold Bug
to find LOTS of meteorites so I know that it can be a good producer in the
right hands.

Both the White and Fisher detectors are available from time to time on
Ebay. Make sure you get a guarantee that the unit will work properly and
that you can get your money back if there's a problem.

Just one final thought. Get someone that is experienced in using a metal
detector for hunting meteorites to show you how to use the machine
properly. Nothing can be more frustrating that finding out at the end of a
long day of "beeping" that you had the unit set up wrong!

Best,

JKG