[meteorite-list] Calculating a meteorite orbit

From: Bernhard <rendelius_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 23 09:34:20 2004

I think that books from Jean Meeus could serve you. They contain
formulas to calculate orbits, planetary positions, eclipses,
conjunctions and maybe calculations for meteorites as well.

One thing to think about, though: the best you can say is where the
meteorite entered the atmosphere, nothing more. Perturbances of the
orbit are many with such a small body, and I would think that you cannot
determine exact positions for more than a day or two back into the past.

Even asteroids can't be calculated precisely with a formula for more
than two or three orbits. After that, the miscalculations will be more
than just a few arcseconds...

  _____

Best regards,
Bernhard "Rendelius" Rems

CEO RPGDot Network

This outgoing mail has been virus-checked.