[meteorite-list] Helium Helps Trace the Origin of the Los AngelesMeteorite

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 28 14:22:43 2004

> This is interesting. How far back can we
> use Helium before it completely decays?

Hi Matt and List,

As far as I know helium does not decay. Both He3 and He4 are
stable isotopes. I guess these scientists measured the newly
formed amount of helium inside the core regions of Bob's LAs
as a result of the radioactive decay of uranium and thorium
that took place *after* a meteorite impacted Mars. Something
like this: The amount of helium that has been able to accumulate
inside LA since the impact occurred will probably allow them to
calculate *when* that meteorite hit Mars.

Best wishes,

Bernd