[meteorite-list] Largest single Pallasite?

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 27 21:16:23 2004

Hi Robert and list members,

Good to see that there are others out there who have seen through some of the
discrepancies. I am glad you brought up the money issue as there are other items
that were left out of the booklet. One item was a gold rush along the Oregon
coast and John Evans ran into far greater expenses than predicted as supplies
were being sold for many times their worth due to high demand.

Back then you couldn't wire home every time you were faced with difficulties
(you were out in the middle of nowhere) . I am sure they expected him
(explorers) to act in the best interests of the states and I am sure this is
what he did adding to a higher debt to do the exploring as he was expected to
do.

Evans was also married to a woman whose father was the designer of the
Washington Monument. In other words they were probably well to do coming from
influential families. After Evan's death, his wife made efforts to have his
journals published but for what ever reasons (civil war) the moneys were never
made available and much valuable information no doubt lost and perhaps that is
the real tragedy.

Some of the surveying that Evans did is still in use today and a basis of
locations of Federal land and lands that were sold to settlers back then. So
some things remain intact of his work.

--AL