[meteorite-list] Re: Photographing meteorites

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 19 02:26:43 2004

Bernhard posted:

> My final choice was the Nikon Coolpix 3200. it has 3
> megapixel (2048x1600), and you can take pictures as close as 4cm to
>the object.

Dear Bernhard and List:

You made a good choice with the Nikon for an inexpensive digital. The
macro lens (for close-ups) is superb.

I've been using Nikons for over 20 years and -- in my opinion -- the
digital Coolpix models are the best range of consumer digital cameras
available on the market today. I've been using a Coolpix 880 for the
past 3 1/2 years, and it's an excellent camera, very similar to yours
in most respects.

I took this recent photo of the newly-available Seymchan pallasite
with the 880:

http://www.notkin.net/meteorites/seymchan.htm

The only real drawback with the 3 and 3.2 megapixel cameras is the
size limitation of print images -- if you print anything hi-res
larger than about 6 x 8 inches the image quality will start to
noticeably degrade. But the mid-level Coolpix cameras are great for
medium-sized prints, and ideal for web work.

Most of the photos on our "World of Meteorites" poster were taken
with my Coolpix:

http://www.notkin.net/meteorites/poster.htm

It's almost time for me to upgrade to an 8 megapixel Nikon. I'll post
pictures when I have some to share.

I hope you have good results with your new camera. Please post some
pics for us when you have time.

Regards,

Geoff N.
Tucson, AZ