[meteorite-list] Which one came closest?

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Oct 16 19:37:26 2004

Great thread Ann and Jeff. Three answers for me.

1.) The closest to where I grew up (Manila, Arkansas)
would be the awesome fall of Paragould, at a mere 23
miles. ( A little before my time, but my dad was 3
years old then.)

2.) The closest to where I live now (Little Rock,
Arkansas) would be the find, Slovak, at 44 miles. I
had the great honor of meeting the finder, Frank
Halijan. He found the 8.22 Kg stone in 1960 or 1961
lying in a fence row, where he suspects his
grandfather had thrown it out of the field years
earlier. Frank was kind enough to allow me to trade
him for a small partial slice of his find.

3.) The one to fall closest to me personally I guess
would be the fairly recent New Orleans, LA., at 351
miles. Not nearly close enough! Like all of us, I'm
waiting for that " about one foot away from me " fall!
 ;-)

   OK, now how about another question? Would anyone
want to describe the most spectacular fireball they
ever personally witnessed? I have seen two that were
both brighter than the full moon, lighting up the
night sky almost as bright as daylight. One of them
attracted my attention as I was returning from driving
a babysitter home one night, when I first thought I
was seeing flashes of lightning. As I leaned forward
for a better view of the sky, I was treated to this
beautiful, intensely bright fireball. And as an aside,
I also saw the re-entry of part of a Soviet rocket in
Jan. 1988 (?) that seemed to have lasted near half a
minute, and was a fantastic sight.

  Sincerely,
  Robert Woolard