[meteorite-list] Two Slow moving meteors over NE Pennsylvania

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 1 02:18:11 2004

Hi, All,

    Any object falling to Earth from a decaying orbit from East to West would be
in RETROGRADE orbit, which would be unusual for a man-made satellite. I don't
actually know if there are any retrograde satellites (help, experts!) but it's
hard to do, very expensive in deltaV, so I doubt it. A retrograde orbital
re-entry would be faster, not slower, than normal.
    A natural object captured by the Earth's gravity is equally likely to end up
in a retrograde or prograde orbit, even a partial one that brings it into the
atmosphere to burn up, but it wouldn't be slow in either case.
    An interesting possibility is an Inner Solar System object in an eccentric
orbit that extends out as far as the Earth. At the Earth, its (heliocentric)
velocity would be significantly less than the Earth's (heliocentric) velocity
and it could (if "ahead" of the Earth) be captured and enter the atmosphere at
far less than the Earth's escape velocity.
    This is about the only possible explanation of a slow moving retrograde
entry observation.

Sterling K. Webb