[meteorite-list] Meteorite sites now officially open

From: Bernhard Rems <bernhard_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 30 16:18:05 2004

Hi there!

The network of meteorite related sites is now complete and at your disposal.
Five sites are ready and waiting for you to use them and to fill them.

The main site is http://meteoritecollecting.com - it is the hub for the
complete network. This is a site that will feature articles related to
meteorites and announce new items on all the other sites. We are starting off
with a first interview in a series where we present meteorite collectors all
around the world. The first one to be featured is Norbert Classen from
Germany. Please head over to meteoritecollecting.com and find the link to the
interview on the right top of the site.

Meteoritecollecting.com is also meant for those new to collecting meteorites,
so I want to present articles for beginners there as well. What's a
meteorite? What about classification? Where to buy? How to store them? Things
like that.

http://meteoritenews.com will be the place where news from the meteorite world
will be presented. New finds/falls, new classifications and more. The news
pace is slower in the meteorite community than in other fields, but we try to
update as often as possible.

http://worldofmeteorites.com is a discussion forum. From chitchat to serious
questions - this is a place where a more structured discussion than here on
the list can take place. Please head over, register and help me to make this
place lively and interesting.

http://metsale.com is the auction site for meteorite enthusiasts. It offers
the same features as ebay, but does so without the costs of ebay. Once again:
this is a site that will only show its potential when people use it. It's my
offer, please take advantage of it.

Finally, there is http://meteoritegallery.com. This is the place to show off
your meteorites and to build a visual database of as many mets as possible.
It is also host to SPACEROCKS INC.'s Meteorite picture of the day and allows
you to have a place for your own collection.

I have put a lot of work into these sites. I think that they, in total, offer
something unique and new to the meteorite community. Funny enough, even to
collectors of meteorites something "new" can be something "scary". But please
don't be shy. As I said: use these tools for you.

And if you think these sites are a good idea and you want to contribute, these
are some suggestions how to do it:

1) Upload pictures to the meteorite gallery.
2) Submit articles for meteoritecollecting.com
3) Volunteer to post news at meteoritenews.com (it's as easy as typing a mail)
4) Buy and sell at metsale.com - if you fear loss, make the start price the
minimum you want for a piece. If you want to help to build traffic, have a
courageous heart and start your piece at 0.01c :-). BTW, I have sold two
pieces there already. One was a bargain, the second one was what I wanted for
it.
5) Start discussing things at worldofmeteorites.com.
6) Carry a link to http://meteoritecollecting.com on your website or in your
mail. The hub is made to distribute people to the various sites.

Finally, have fun with what I have built. And let me know that you like what
you see - not only verbally, but by using the sites and spreading the word...

--
Best regards,
Bernhard Rems