[meteorite-list] NWA 267 Meteorite $10.00 Liberia Coin

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 30 05:08:03 2004

Hello list,

Was wondering if anyone noticed the meteorite coin that has been listed a
few times on ebay the last month for the first time. One coin is currently
listed. It features a piece NWA 267, is made of silver and is a legal
tender $10.00 coin in Liberia.

One listed on ebay right now is item number 3944213561.

The coin itself is very nice and shows a nomad? on a camel in the desert and
a meteor cutting across the sky, back of coin has Liberia government
markings and notes it is worth $10 dollars.
The meteorite for the coin was supplied by me to a large bank in Liberia.
One of the workers came up with the ideal and I sent him a few samples. The
bank later made an order and these nice coins were minted. I do not know
how many were made but if meteorite coins interest you, I would suggest
getting one right away. The company is sold out and it was only a few
months ago they were released. They offered me one below wholesale which I
had passed, but I just e-mailed them and they came up with one for me, at
the under wholesale price, which when you add shipping is over $100. Along
with the coin you are suppose to get a certificate with a piece of the
meteorite....although it is possible that two versions exist...one without
meteorite....but I don't know. The bank made a second order to put pieces
on the certificate.

Since I collect and sell coins somewhat, it is kind of neat to have supplied
meteorite to a government bank to for coinage.

And as a side note, this makes NWA 267 argueably, a little better. It being
the first meteorite applied to a legal tender coin.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com
www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com