[meteorite-list] Preservation of iron meteorite

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 26 15:08:33 2004

Jorn, I saw this posted by some coinshooters to clean metal. Will
this work for iron? Haven't tried it. I suspect with some chem
tweaks this may be the best your average collector could build
affordably to treat irons.

"When building a electrolysis machine to clean metal, a
better transformer to use is an old AT type computer
power supply not a ATX power supply just cut a yellow
and a black wire from one of the four wire plug strip and
attach clips. Yellow is POSITIVE (+), Black is ground.
In a plastic tub mix tap water, a tablespoon of salt per 8 oz
of water, attach yellow lead to a stainless steel piece put in
water on one side of the bucket attach black lead to the
metal find, put in the water on other side of bucket.
Do not let the leads touch each other, turn on the power
and it will bubble give it a little time and the dirt and rust
will come off find and be on the stainless metal. The power
supply does not over heat and cleans faster than small
power supplies "