[meteorite-list] NWA's, "Dealers", Science, & NomCom

From: Michael Gallant <miga_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 25 12:38:34 2004

Hello Jeff,

First off, I would like to thank you for all your time and effort you
place into this list.
I?m sure I?m not alone when I say that your name is one of several that
prompt one to pause and fully read your posts.

I wonder if you might clarify for me your example (copied below) of NWA
numbering, as this is a very exciting topic. Could one assume a stone
with an NWA number that has no ?extension?, might be an example of a
dealer's ?best guess?, as it would not reflect a ?certified? number?

When a new find is made, would each stone be tested and given a
?certified? incremental ?extension? number?

Best wishes,
Mike