[meteorite-list] Re: NWA's, 'Dealers', Science, & NomCom

From: Herbert Raab <herbert.raab_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 25 12:10:21 2004

Mark Ford wrote:

> It's quite simple, if you don't know where it comes from and it
> hasn't been classified then its 'unclasssifed' ...

Unfortunately, it is not that simple. As I wrote in my previous
message, the stone was sent to a major lab for classification.
They cut off a type specimen, made a thin section, and classified
the stone accordingly. The result was that it is paired to another
NWA chondrite that already has (at least) three separate numbers.
So the lab said they won't bother to add yet another number to
the very same material.

But as the stone has already sereval designations, I can at least
take a choice with which dealer I want to get in trouble about
"stolen" NWA numbers... ;^)

Best greetings,
  Herbert